July 25 2018
When was the lighthouse erected?
After a number of temporary lights, which were place at the breakwater’s end during construction, the permanent lighthouse was built between 1900 and 1902.
Who were the first keepers of the light?
Eba Ring, a laborer, was charged with maintaining the temporary beacon during breakwater construction, beginning in April of 1888. Llewelyn Charles Ames succeeded him in 1895, receiving $25 per month for lighting the lamp. The first official keeper, employed by the U.S. Lighthouse Service, was Howard P. Robbins, who began his service on June 14, 1902, initially being paid $500 per year, which was later increased to $540 per year. His son, Clifford M. Robbins, was appointed assistant keeper on November 1, 1902, at a salary of $450 per year.
When was the light fully automated and the keeper’s house vacated for good?
The Coast Guard occupied the keeper’s house for a number of years in the 1940s and 1950s, finally vacating the quarters in 1963. The light was fully automated in 1964.
Who owns the lighthouse today?
In 1998 the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse, as part of the Maine Lights Program, sponsored by Rockland’s Island Institute, was deeded to the City of Rockland.
Who is responsible today for the lighthouse’s operation and maintenance?
As an important aid to navigation, the operation of the beacon and foghorn of the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse remains the responsibility of the U.S. Coast Guard. However, the restoration and preservation of the lighthouse tower and keeper’s house is the responsibility of the Friends of the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse, having leased the lighthouse from the City of Rockland
How high is the light tower?
The tower is 25 feet from the base, and 39 feet above mean (average) high water.
Who owns the Breakwater?
The Army Corp of Engineers, except for the portion on which the lighthouse is located, owns the Breakwater.
How far is the light visible?
The present lantern, a VRB-25 made by VEGA Industries, Ltd. Of New Zealand, is visible for up to 17 miles.